tlug: basic CD_ROM and Floppy matters

Hello all,
    I'm as new to Linux as a person can be. So I have some questions
that are probably obvious matters to the rest of you. Those of you who
get tired quickly of answering simple questions should move to the next
e-mail.
    I wasn't sure if i should post them in seperate messages or not.
Please let me know the proper procedure.

1. Every time i try to mount my CD-ROM, it says:
    mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab
    How do i resolve this?

2. It seems to me that it's a hell of a hassle to have to go through the
whole mount and unmount procedure every time i want to look at a CD-ROM
or floppy. At the last meeting someone suggested I can set up a daemon
to make both drives more immediately accessable. Is this true and, if
so, how? (I know what a daemon is and what it does, but I've never set
one up before, so please be gentle in your explanation.)

3. Can i read MSDOS floppies and/or CD-ROMS? If so, how?

Thanks
        dave

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: