Re: tlug: STB Velocity 3D and XFree 3.3.2

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> Some more experiments resulted in the following: The card
> works *exactly once* after booting.  When I leave X and
> start it again, the machine freezes.

Okay, the X driver is leaving things in a nasty state.

Try running svgatextmode between attempts and see if that doesn't make
things right.

> I guess that it is the probing of the clock that freezes the machine
> when it is done after I have started X already once.

Shouldn't be probing for clock at all once it realizes that it's a virge.
Hmmm ... on try two, just do an "X -probeonly" and see if the machine
locks.  If so, then it's dying during the probe.  If not it's a driver
issue.

> I guess, the server probed for this value?

Sort of.  The virge (I think -- I don't have the specs in front of me)
puts the ramdac on-chip, so the max rate is known.

Hmmm ... maybe try adding option "noaccel" to XF86config and see if the
problem is XAA.  Shouldn't be, though.

For what it's worth, we're releasing another 3.3.2 public patch RSN that
may address this problem.

-- Chris

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691