RE: SMP (was tlug: 2.0.35)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Olinsky, Craig wrote:

> > Anything about SMP?  The machine in question is a dual-ppro200, and i
> > compiled in SMP support (as I've done for every other kernel I've used on
> > the machine).
> >

> 	Scott:
>
> 	Could you give me an idea of what how the SMP support in linux
> performs (well, other than this specific problem :)
> 	I remember, for instance, in a previous thread about mouse and/or
> netscape delays, it was mentioned that the x-server is single threaded.  I
> have a dual machine currently running...well...some other OS... and I've
> been waiting to hear that linux SMP support has gotten to a "good point"
> before I went ahead and converted it...

well, I'm not even sure if my 2.0.35 problem was SMP related or not.
However, I've been running 2.0.30 SMP on www.pht.com and
www.turbolinux.com for quite some time, and the performance seems to be
good.  Better than if I use a single-processor kernel, but that's just
observation, I don't have any hard data on that.

Then again, I don't run X or Netscape on either of them.

> 	Thanks,
> 	Craig (olinskyc@example.com)

> Next Meeting: 8 August, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
> i386, Sparc, PA-Risc, Amiga, SGI, Alpha, PalmPilot, ...
> Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.