tlug: New Kernel + XEmacs = BAD medicine (sound-related?)

    Matt> As part of my never-ending quest to get my sound card
    Matt> working, I compiled a new 2.0.34 kernel yesterday. It seems
    Matt> to work, and I finally have sound (hallelujah!), but there's
    Matt> a serious catch. Twice yesterday, I booted up with the new
    Matt> kernel, started up XEmacs, and was typing away when -- POOF!
    Matt> The system was hung ... couldn't do anything with the
    Matt> keyboard or mouse. So I had to do a hard reset. Ouch.

Version of XEmacs?

Did you try switching virtual consoles?

Did you try telneting in over the net?

    Matt> My system is RedHat 5.0, or was. Actually, I've updated so
    Matt> many packages it's probably closer to 5.1.

But with Red Hat, who knows what that means....  :-(

    Matt> When I did 'make modules_install', there was an error
    Matt> message saying 'sound_syms.o' doesn't exist. This has
    Matt> happened to me before, and I've looked it up in Deja News
    Matt> and found several people asking about it and nobody
    Matt> answering.

I've had luck with

make modules; make modules; make modules_install

    Matt> Maybe related to the above: at boot time, there were several
    Matt> 'undefined kernel symbol' error messages, all involving
    Matt> sound drivers.

I'd fix that before worrying about XEmacs or any other applications.
Any X program is capable of hanging your system if it grabs the X
server, but Emacsen are pretty polite.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691