Re: tlug: xdm and 'nologin' on Slackware

Hi, Jim;
I use xdm with XFree86 3.3.2.
The /etc/nologin file wasn't valid with xdm(1).
The /etc/nologin file will used by login(1).(See man nologin)
I guess, xdm(1) don't use login(1), xdm(1) use xsm(1) (X Session Manager)
with XDMCP.

At 22:05 07/13/98 +0900, Jim Schweizer wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had thought there was a way to disable any new login attempts
>into a system by simply creating a file called /etc/nologin.
>
>Supposedly, it can have a null file size or a message can be
>placed into the file informing the status of the system. If a
>user attempts to login remotely, a message should be displayed
>with contents of the /etc/nologin file, and then disconnect the
>user.
>
>But, on Slackware running xdm if you create the file then
>reboot, the nologin file vaporizes and regular logins are allowed
>
>Hmmm, since xdm runs as root, is /etc/nologin not a valid option?

Thanks.
--
| Kazuyuki Okamoto <ikko-@example.com>
| http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~ikko-/XF332/DocIndex.html
| http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~ikko-/XF331/DocIndex.html
| XFree86 Docs in Japanese
| PGP Key fingerprint =  56 D2 1E 57 22 12 3B 3C  AB 36 55 37 23 27 F0 61
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: