Re: tlug: another question: webpage-like desktop in Linux

Matt Gushee <matt@example.com> wrote,

> Jeez Louise. In case anybody gives a damn, I don't use KDE myself (I
> like my WindowMaker with a plain black background, thank
> you).

Can't comment on KDE, but I just experimented a bit with
WindowMaker and like it very much -- better than twm, mwm,
olvwm, and fvwm (all of which I used for at least a year).
The only awkward thing is that it is a bit difficult to
install - if you don' want to compile yourself - a >= 15.0
version (which is much better than the 0.13, you usually
get).  The only rpm that I found for 0.15 was on freshmeat
and it insists on using `libjpeg.so.62'.  In case anybody
wants to try,  it seems that `libjpeg.so.62' is the internal
version number for `libjpeg.so.7'.  As my TurboLinux install
only has `libjpeg.so.6', I got `libjpeg-6b-2.i386.rpm' from
RedHat's `contrib/' and did a

  ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.7.0 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

My biggest problem now is the lack of good documentation
for WindowMaker.  Does anybody know how this docking stuff
works?

Cheers,

Manuel
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: