Re: tlug: Keyboard glitch

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

>I want to know how it spontaneously 'came unplugged from your computer'

I didn't say it was spontaneous, I said it came unplugged :-)  See, I've
got two PCs and one Sparcstation under one desk, they're sharing one
monitor and two keyboards, have 3 mice, a printer, each has a 10base-T
cable.  There's a lot of cables in, on, under, and around that desk, and
one of them got wrapped around the keyboard cable and partly unplugged
it from the keyboard extension cable.

But there is an upside to all of this: I can unplug the monitor cable
from any of those machines and plug it into any other in the dark :-)

>... as for the repeat rate, that's really odd.. is this the PC or the Sun?

PC.  It is odd, but the keyboard has definitely beccome very sluggish
since then.  I'll try one of the suggestions from the ML when I get home
tonight.  On Windows machines I've seen an unplugged keyboard become a
cause for a reboot because the machine just plain wouldn't talk to the
keyboard anymore - something I'm glad Linux doesn't suffer from - but
this sluggish keyboard effect is odd.

I had a line on a loaded SS2 - 64 meg, 500 + 400 disks, type 5 keyboard,
Sun optical mouse, 15" Dell monitor and adapter, Solaris 2.5.1-J and
CDE, all for 45,000.  But somebody just beat me to it and the owner said
they are in negotiations but he will contact me if those fall through.
I kinda hope they do, because 16 4-meg parity SIMMs alone are worth
nearly the whole price he's selling that SS2 for, without even counting
the rest of it.  That would also be a pretty good speed increase.  My 1+
delivers a blazing 24.88 bogomips, but Chris says his 2 packs an
absolutely mind-boggling 39 bogomips :-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: