Re: tlug: mail

> Since I am connected to the internet, and can send mail from my Linux Box
> and can view web pages via Lynx; I assume that my mail problem is with my
> mail set up, but I am at a loss.
>
> I connect just fine via fetchmail to my pop servers, but they either don't
> get mail or they lose it or they cannot transfer it to my MTA (smail via the
> /usr/lib/sendmail -oem).
Hmmm.....fetchmail.....Actually, this thing has the feature of
feeding all recovered mail through your MTA for processing. Sure
is a good thing for somewhat bigger installation, but for leaf
sites this simply sucks because you have to have your MTA
running all the time. After some playing with it I threw it out
and switched back to popclient. This is a plain stupid thing
that simply gets your mail and stores it in your mailfile under
/var/spool/mail/<yourMailFile>. Nothing else. No bells and
whistles. But fabulously easy to use. You just call it with the
right parameters. Like this:

     popclient -3 -u karlmax -p MyPassword oberland.net

I'd recommend that you simply get it and install it. It is
discontinued, sure, but that is no problem: compile it from the
sources to make it fit into your system. There is actually no
need to maintain it. It works. What do you want more ?

                           Karl-Max Wagner
                           karlmax@example.com
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: