Re: tlug: Sparc boot

    Jonathan> Is something strange here, or am I just missing
    Jonathan> something really basic that I'm supposed to do to get a
    Jonathan> boot prompt?

L1-A ( "stop" and "a" keys ) should give the boot prompt. I'm not sure
about the old boot-prom. If it has the "new" command, you can then do
probe-scsi to get the full device name of the controller. Using
"setenv", you can then set the boot device:

setenv boot-device /iommu/sbus/espdma@example.com,8400000/esp@example.com,8800000/sd@example.com,0

for scsi id 5.

This may not help with the old boot prom though. I'm not sure. Sorry.

    Jonathan> On a side note, I love how easy it is to work on this
    Jonathan> Sparcstation.  I wish Intel hardware was this easy to
    Jonathan> install and remove stuff from.  Especially what must be
    Jonathan> the worst thing on most Intel boxes, installing and
    Jonathan> removing the case cover (that's the real reason so many
    Jonathan> of us run with the covers off our Intel machines all the
    Jonathan> time :-) ).

Yes, well Sun has "plug-n-play" that actually works. Not sure how
wintel messed that up so much.

Now you know why its called a "Pizza box", you just lift the lid and
drool over the contents. :)

On second thought, don't drool too much, I leaned from my son that
drooling on electronics does not bode well for the electronics. He's
the only 1 year old I know of with his own fax machine, albeit
broken. The new one is safely out reach :)

Andy
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: