Re: tlug: Sparc boot

On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 12:50:10AM +0000, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> And it even boots.  That's the good news.  Turns out SunOS 4.1.1 is
> installed on the other disk drive (one of the pair of 105 meggers that it
> came with).

Don't destroy that one... you'll want the libraries for SunOS emulation once
you get Linux running.  I'd be inclined to take it out, and move the SCSI ID
of your 340MB drive to 3... install RedHat, and then put the smaller hard
disk back in (with some ID other than 3, 6, or 7).

> The strange part is that I never get a chance to tell it to boot from the
> floppy.  I turn it on, it verifies that it has 8 memory installed, it says I
> have a type 4 keyboard, it says I have boot PROM revision 1.3, then it skips
> a couple of lines and the word "testing" appears on the screen. I never see
> a > prompt (which I believe I should be getting, since the boot PROM is
> below version 2).It won't take any keyboard input at this point, and after a
> while it goes to boot from the disk drive with SunOS on it (interestingly,

Did you try L1-A (aka Stop-A)?  That is the normal key sequence to get to
the boot ROM.

(I can provide you with a BIOS quick reference guide that Professor Little
was kind enough to distribute... if you want to know more than you need to. :-)

> it does this regardless of which of the two SCSI headers I attach it to, but
> perhaps this is normal?).

Yes.  SCSI is a daisy-chained bus.  What is significant is the device ID of
the drive(s).  By default it will be trying to boot from the one with ID 3.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo     ICQ: 5981586   AIM: Jim7J1AJH

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: