Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?

"Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com> wrote,

> The other option that I think could have a chance is KDE.  I used it on
> and off, and I think it really could be standardize to fit in a business
> environment.  Let's be honest.  I like WindowMaker, AfterStep, FVWM2,
> etc., but do you really think (take a look at some of the themes pages
> for each) that they would work in a business environment?

I don't see any problems with the themes.  The important
thing is that a WM *can* look business-like, there is no
need to force it to always look...boring...

The great thing about Linux et al. is that you can configure
and adapt everything.  So for me a Linux GUI would allow you
to configure it (and be by default configured) to have a
standard look-and-feel, which fits in a business
enviironment.  Still, it should allow you to change the look
(and feel?) in a way that is largely transparent to the
application.

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote,

> I think you're missing Jamie Z.'s point.  Windose 3.1 is very nearly
> Motif Style Guide-compliant (see OReilly vol 5B or whatever); I can't
> speak for Windose 95.  The UI stuff on Unix is not a problem with
> libmotif.so (or whatever it's called); it's a problem with developers
> who use Motif widgets in non-Stype Guide-compliant ways and sys admins
> who f**k with app-defaults.

I also feel that this is a crucial point.  The strong point
of the Mac GUI was (maybe still is?) that Apple published a
multi-volume programmers handbook that exactly defined how
things have to look-and-feel.  If a software company wanted
to get the official approval of Apple, they'd better stick
to that standard.

What is needed are detailed guidelines how a Linux GUI has
to look-and-feel.

> Have you used a proprietary Motif supported by a money-hungry vendor?
> Sun's worked (when we had Sun) most of the time, and when it didn't,
> it was usually a local config error.  Of course, I lived in Emacs, so
> about all I did with Motif was to bang on the Emacs icon ;-)

I used Motif apps (and mwm) on Sun's for years.  I
personally didn't like the look-and-feel very much (except
in the beginning, as it was way better than the sunview
stuff and twm), but I can't complain about its technical
side.

> Question: Is there a GTK Style Guide?  If not, you can bet that the
> suite of ported-to-GTK apps will flunk the consistency test as badly
> as Lesstif does.

You are right.  That is the critical point.  And will
developers follow it?  Maybe if it is not just a style
guide, but teaching interface design, developers might be
more inclined to read it...

Cheers,

Manuel

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: