Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?

Manuel Chakravarty writes:

 > I am far from being a Motif fan, so I understand your last
 > remark, but I am unsure about GTK.  What's the problem with
 > it?  And if it is not much better than Motif now, doesn't it
 > have the possibility to develop -- in contrast to Motif?

Hmm, you may be right. The GTK thing ... I was just sort of passing
along JWZ's remark without too much thought. His point was that, even
if it is better than Motif, it would have to be a spectacular
improvement for the commercial UNIX vendors to even think about
changing. Knowing very little about the commercial UNIX world, I just
have to take his word for that.

Personally, I think GTK is great compared to other *NIX
toolkits. However ... and maybe this is just me, but I'm a
keyboard-oriented guy ... so I think that a good GUI is one where you
have a choice of using the keyboard or the mouse for *everything*
(except, of course for operations like drawing/painting images). So
while I think dialog boxes are a good visual aid, you should be able
to operate them without ever touching the mouse. GTK doesn't do that
... though I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make it so, if one
wished.

But I guess the main point was that 'good' and 'viable' are -- as we
all know -- not the same thing. Is GTK viable in the marketplace? Your
guess is at least as good as mine.

By the way, people were comparing backwaters a couple of days
ago. Don't know why I didn't jump in at the time, but I think I've got
you all beat. Oshamanbe: pop. 8600 and declining; nearest restaurant
that's open after 9PM -- Yakumo, 40 min. away; nearest movie theater
-- Hakodate, 1:30; nearest English bookstore, live music, *culture* --
Sapporo, 2 1/2 hours/5400 yen (one-way) by train. I've met Hokkaido
natives who don't know where this town is. So there.

So why did Science University of Tokyo stick a campus here? Hmm ... to
punish the unworthy?

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: