tlug: "platform independence" opportunities

After attending the "Platform Independence" presentation at Saturday's
Linux Fair, I came across a couple of alternatives if you are looking
for other places to run Linux:

Plat'home has some Alphastation 200s.  These are doubtlessly very slow by
today's standards (a 21164 at 100MHz I believe)... but might be fun to play
with.  Y42,800.
http://www.plathome.co.jp/

Corel Computer has begun shipping their StrongARM-based NetWinder machines.
These are very small form-factor, low power desktop boxes that use a 275 MHz
ARM processor.  There are lots of interesting peripherals bit in, including
Ethernet 10/100BaseT, EPP/ECP parallel port, IrDA, ful duplex sound,
VGA/NTSC/PAL video.  You can buy their "developer" machines now for US$749
to US$929 depending on the capacity of the internal 2.5 inch HDD.  This
looks like a fun toy... as long as you don't need an FPU.
http://www.corelcomputer.com/

It might also be a good time to get more RAM for your SPARCstation ELC if
you haven't already.  16MB now seems to be the smallest size readily
available in Akihabara... so if you wait much longer the price may start to
go up because of scarcity (the way it has with 30pin SIMMs).  I got a couple
16MB parity SIMMs for Y2470 each to fill up my machine.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586   AIM: Jim7J1AJH

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html