Re: tlug: Be_careful!!! HPLaserJet4000N_Final_Solution

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Ken Schwarz wrote:

> What language(s) does the LP-8300 speak?  Something proprietary to
> Epson?  Usually clone printers emulate popular devices like HP PCL

Epson ESC/P, the standard Epson printer language.   Unfortunately, it has
no DeskJet emulation modes (I don't think any Epson does).

> The clones sometimes have special paper handling features which
> require proprietary drivers to manage conveniently, so you might be
> out of luck there.

It does support multiple trays, and I'd be happy as anything if I could
also select whether to draw paper from the cassette or from the internal
paper tray, but since I can't use it at all, little touches like that
don't matter so much :-)

I do find it odd that there is no support for anything in this LP-8xxx or
9xxx line, but perhaps they only sell these in Japan or something.  PHT
has an LP-9xxx one, but it's got Postscript, so they're all set.
Apparently that's an option, but not one that ours came with :-(

Thanks for the ideas anyway,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station