Re: tlug: Sun disk label fdisk/SCSI question

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 05:24:03PM +0900, Scott Stone wrote:

> ah, I see.  I think I was confused, so I was thinking that we were
> discussing what LBA does, which i guess we werent.  LBA, of course, is the
> new 'hack' for PC bioses to remap big drives to <= 1024cyl.  Although, it
> does work, so I guess it's not so much of a hack.

I think "LBA" stands for "logical block addressing" and simply refers to
technologies (like SCSI) that make disks look like a sequential stream
of blocks (aka sectors aka 512 bytes).  That is, "LBA" is meaningful
without BIOS (or hacks) anywhere in the picture.

With SCSI you just say, "gimme block n".  The OS kernel, filesystem,
database storage management engine, raid controller, or whatever might
care about c/h/s, but the SCSI disk controller ultimately just deals
with disk blocks (note that many performance "optimizations" based on
c/h/s become wastes of time with SCSI -- the disk itself is responsible
for these sorts of optimizations).

Regards,
--
Rex
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station