RE: Japanese input (was RE: tlug: Japanese)

>No.  Some is not enough.  Partial support will _not_ take over the
>world.  Viz. the Japanese on Netscape on Linux madness.  w3.el under
>Mule has full multilingual support, input and output.  Why doesn't
>anybody use it?  Because it doesn't support tables, plugins and the
>like well, if at all.

Now here is something that I'd really like to respond to.  Another way to
phrase the above is that it doesn't support either the current W3C HTML
standard (4.0) or its predecessor (3.2) well, if at all.  Inquiring minds
wanna know why not, and when it's gonna :-)  Yes, I know that neither
Internet Deplorer nor (especially) Netscrape support HTML 4.0 (or even 3.2,
in cases) very well either, and they both ought to be ashamed, since neither
of them can claim any valid excuse such as having to rely on volunteers as a
reason for not having done it yet.

I know being a web browser isn't really the job of Mule, Emacs, or Xemacs,
so being current with W3C HTML standards probably isn't a great priority,
but a fully graphical, reliable (=stable) HTML 4.0-compliant browser
function would be convenient.  And probably a first :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne <E-mail:jq@example.com>
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station