Re: Japanese input (was RE: tlug: Japanese)

From: Gaspar Sinai <gsinai@example.com>
Subject: Re: Japanese input  (was RE: tlug: Japanese)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 05:46:54 +0900 (JST)

gsinai> I don't think that it would be difficult to port Yudit to GTK. What
gsinai> would be really good is to MERGE Yudit with GTK. If you look at Yudit 1.0,
gsinai> you can compile it  with Xlib only and Yudit itself provides a widget
gsinai> set that uses UTF8 encoded text for labels, menus e.t.c. If GTK had it
gsinai> it would be beneficial for all of us.

gsinai> Of course to get all this nicely integrated into GTK would mean that
gsinai> we need to attrect  the attention of GTK developers.

Hi, Chisaka-san is pretty active in the GNOME / GTK projects.  He is
the person that demonstrated the Japanese version of GTK with Daisuke-san
at the last TLUG meeting where Tague of Netscape spoke.   In fact,
one of the big reasons he wanted to start the JTLUG group was to
try to coordinate the Japanese and general GTK efforts so that there
was better international support into GTK and GNOME.  I would tend
to agree with Tague that the best way to get better Japanese support into
a software project is to get people that use Japanese involved in the
developing the project, not just developing the Japanese aspects, but the
entire project.  Since there already is a group of GTK developers in
Japan, perhaps we could assist in communication with the main
GTK group.  If you want to pursue this, you may want to join the
jtlug list and bring this issue up.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station