Re: tlug: Cobalt Qube

> Well Mr.  Joe Potato doesn't know how to setup a BSD/Linux
> and or a WinNT box.  All Mr. Joe Potato has to do is place
> in all the infomation (IP information and other network crap
> given by their provider) either locally and or remotely (via
> bootp).  Then just plug it into the wall and ethernet
> connection. Volia out from the box on the net in 15 minutes.
> Covers everything from FTP, DNS to HTTP server.  Yes, the OS
> is a Linux 2.0 based O.S. developed around the Qube's
> functionality.  I do find one problem in this product that
> its not redundant proof.  But of course then again you could
> develop appz for it and make it that way.  But overall its
> the DUMMIES solution for a internet server.  Its not bad for
> the time spent setting it up and the price.  Highly
> regarded, I would give it thumbs up.  But then again I have
> to it through my security testing..  Then I would be able to
> grade it better.

Actually, such machines from a security perspective are
probably a kind of time bomb.  I mean, you have a more or
less mass-manufactured device with a highly complex software
system hooked up on the net without much monitoring
facilities nor a knowledgeable person who could use such
facilities if they were available.

Given that for practical purposes any system has some
security holes, customization, logs (ideally on some
permanent media), and people who daily work on a system
probably gives you the best chances to detect a cracker
early.  A machine like the Cobalt Qube has, by definition,
nothing of this and the fact that many of them have the same
hard- and software makes it easier to crack a bunch of
systems with basically the same scheme.

Just some thoughts,

Manuel
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station