RE: tlug: Linux telecom nexus

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> A PHS has three modes: public (it functions as a PHS), Cordless (it
> functions as a cordless phone), transceiver (it functions as a
> walkie-talkie).  But you have to choose which one you want to do; they
> don't do them all at the same time.

Ah, thank you; it makes more sense now.

> You cannot have just one number.  An NTT number and a PHS number are two
> different things and can't be made one.

I suppose there isn't even a service from NTT, like MCI-One?
What if my TA can try to forward the call to my PHS, and then
revert to a local port if I don't answer?  Call forwarding should
be a common feature (if not the all-important reverting part).
The NEC Aterm IT50 DSU is my front-runner now, with just an hour to go.
There are a few new features (via "on-line version-up") that hold promise,
but I don't have time now to figure out the Japanese.  I'll see when I
get it.

> They don't e-mail the notification.  That would be, well. kind of useless.

Mostly useless, but nice if I'm at work.  The TAs talk about UUI mail.
The PHS/PDAs talk about Pmail or Imail or Amail ad nausium.  Why do they
all try to make up their own methods, when email on Internet works great?
And which are reasonable adaptations (e.g., UUI mail using the D channel?)
versus a hopeless branding and commercialization?

> DDI sends a notification right to your PHS when you're back in range,
> telling you you have voice mail.

That's good.  I would hope that the others have something like it too.
I'll have to ask them.

> If you do find a way to make the whole setup work as envisioned, we may
> ask you to write it up for a TLUG how-to :-)

That's a big if.  But, I'll keep notes!

--
11011011   J. David Beutel   jdb@example.com

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station