Re: tlug: Linux telecom nexus

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> > 	2. I think I understand dialing out, but how can I dial-in to
> > 	   my box at home via a digital channel?  (E.g., see the Mobile
> > 	   Phase below.)  Do I need to rent a second phone number from
> > 	   NTT?
>
> You should be able to dial in.  Haven't tried it on isdn, but it should
> just be a matter of having Linux run mgetty and answer the phone.

I still don't understand this part.  When I call my ISDN number,
does it ring one of the analog ports, or does it "RING" the serial port?
Or both?  When a call comes in, does the TA know whether it's digital
or analog?  Can I receive both types of calls on the same number?  And,
a digital call is just a bit stream?  If an analog call comes in to
the same number while a digital call is connected, will the analog call
go to an analog port simultaneously?  Naomi at Bricks isn't sure.

PPP is layered on top of the digital stream by Linux?  Does PIAFS replace
PPP in the PHS scenario?  Or, does PIAFS replace IP?

--
11011011   J. David Beutel   jdb@example.com

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station