Re: tlug: Linux telecom nexus

From: "J. David Beutel" <jdb@example.com>
Subject: tlug: Linux telecom nexus
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 00:04:55 +0900 (PST)

> 	4. Some boards have S-VHS input.  What is the advantage over
> 	   composite video RCA jacks?  (I.e., how much is S-VHS worth?)

From what I can see you are asking about S-video connectors [not S-VHS which
is a video format].

AFAIK, S-video connectors have seperate lines for each of (or some of) the
picture components (did read about it along time ago, but have since
forgotten:).   Apparently this give you a better quality since it doesn't
have to 'merge' (for lack of a better word) all the info into the one
(composite) signal - then separate it out again at the other end.

I really can't tell the difference btwn composite and 'S' when connecting
my video deck to tv, or computer for that matter.    But maybe if you were
doing lots of dubbing, or capture/compression to disk you might see definite
benefits.

Also AFAIK [could be very wrong here:] the 'S' in S-video is for 'Separate',
where as with S-VHS it is 'Super'.

PS: my 10second net search did not turn up a FAQ to confirm/rebuke the above,
hence all the maybes, AFAIK, etc..
tim :)