Re: tlug: MagicPoint and math

On 01-Jun-98 Manuel Chakravarty wrote:
> Rex Walters <rex@example.com> wrote,
>
>> I'd just do a screen capture of xdvi (or gv if you've also got some
>> embedded  postscript figures) with xv or the gimp to generate the gif.
>>
>> I'd probably do it interactively (creating presentations is interactive
>> work for me) but if you really wanted a batchmode latex -> (transparent)
>> gif tool, you could probably hack something together with pbmplus and
>> whatever that funky XFree86 experimental server is that acts as a
>> "virtual" display (no physical hardware, just memory).  Can't remember
>> what it's called....
>>
>> I find it easier to draw boxes around what I want in my figure than I do
>> trying to determine coordinates for pbmplus tools.  :-)
>
> It is easier the first time...  The reason I don't like
> WYSIWIG tools and mice is that you cannot automate repeated
> procedures.  A presentation is something that usually
> evolves.  Many of my presentations share a lot of material,
> but very seldom I give a single presentation twice and many
> slides change slightly from one use to the next.  In other
> words, after changing a formula, I want to reformat the
> corresponding slide by pressing two or three keys.

The pnmcrop tool doesn't require you to specify the coordinates - it
automatically determines them. This is how latex2html is able to automatically
produce the cropped images. It separates each of the equations onto a different
page of a new latex file and then produces a cropped image for each page.

David

---
Dr. David Dibben
National Food Research Institute
2-1-2 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8642. Japan
Tel:  0298 38 8029
Fax: 0298 38 8122
E-Mail: dibben@example.com
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station