Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)

This is correct.  If you connect to a MS ISP you'll never see a login
prompt.  You should create a file called "pap-secrets" and one called
"chap-secrets" in the /etc/ppp directory.  The "chap-secrets" just covers
you, and it says exactly the same thing.

When you connect to a MS system which requires CHAP/PAP it will prompt ppp
to look for these files in the /etc/ppp directory.  If they are not there,
the connection will terminate.  If they are there, and you have configured
them correctly, the connection will be established.

Oh well, just a little piece of info.  There is a real good HOWTO on
PAP/CHAP at AT&T worldnet's homepage, under the linux section.  I don't
remember the ip address for sure but I think this is correct:
www.worldnet.att.net/linux-html

If that doesn't work, try www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2140 and click
on the link which says PAP/CHAP it will take you right to the AT&T worldnet
page.

This is a subject that isn't well documented.  I read several books (many of
which contradicted each other) before I found this page and worked out my
problems.

Take it easy,

Blaine