Re: tlug: mouse fixed; now what about email

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Eric> I figured out how to get the mouse working.  I guess that I
>     Eric> had chosen the wrong type of mouse.  After I killed gpm,
>     Eric> restarted as ps2 type and /dev/psaux, then everything was
>     Eric> peachy, and then I did the same for X.
>
> Mice is still non-PNP, you gotta say what your hardware is.  Probing
> might be possible, but usually people know.

It's shamefully easy to probe for PS/2 mice.  Just do an open on
/dev/psaux.  If the filehandle is null, you don't have one, if it's not
null, you do.  Bus mice are the same way.  No way to reliably probe serial
mice though, cuz you could hit any serial dev and return success.

I've heard that there is such a thing as a plug-and-play serial mouse,
though.

>     Eric> What about email/internet access?  I have no real experience
>     Eric> with this.  As I read the ISP howto and the mgetty info, and
>     Eric> the other notes, I get more confused.  I especially don't
>     Eric> understand mgetty.
>

> I will admit that TurboLinux set up diald very nicely; it's a damn
> shame that the last thing I need is diald coming up automatically at
> boot, stealing the phone line, and stomping on the ethernet gateway I
> want configured ;-) But that's my fault for not being a typical luser,
> right, Scott?

That's why it gives the option of installing it and turning it off via the
service config that runs after package installation.  THAT part will be a
bit improved for 1.9b3, as well.

>From what you said about the ppp config files on Debian, though, that
brings up an interesting point - it seems like there's no standard for
where to put those.  TurboLinux puts them in the same place as Redhat puts
them (I fell in love with RH's configuration file placement/ /etc
structure right after I first installed the 2.0 release...), but these
locations are different from Slackware, which are in turn different from
Debian...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station