RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Tim Meggs <tim@example.com>

>> setup. This machine has only crashed twice - once from a hardware
failure,
>> and once when he installed a rough beta device driver. Hardly sounds like
an
>> unreliable system to me.
>
>I'd argue that he must hardly use the system!

He uses it every day, and running NTFS plus software RAID and SMP isn't
exactly a vanilla system, either.  I wish I had a home computer like that
:-)

>My NT4J [I only use Windoze as work I promise] dies quite often

>Did an upgrage from Serv. Pack 1 -> 3 in the hope that it would get
better -
>but spent about 3 days just trying to get the system running again after
>that.

We have several NT machines here (for internal use; our public servers are
all UNIX boxes) and we don't have those kinds of problems on any of them.
I'd say that more likely there is either a hardware or a configuration
problem with your NT machine.  What kind of computer is it running on?  Not
a Fujitsu, I hope :-)

The people in your shop who like NT may not know what's wrong with that
system, but I guarantee that something is.  NT does not normally behave that
way.  Windows 95 seems very sensitive to hardware, though, and can really be
made sick by stuff that isn't 100% off the rack standard parts.  Perhaps NT
also shares this characteristic?   I can certainly state that Windows 95 is
a lot more hardware-sensitive than Linux, anyway, so maybe NT also is.
Linux will run fairly well on just about anything, even this lousy FMV
sitting on my desk here :-)

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691