tlug: Debian

Hi,
I did some searching and found some information.

Linux Weekly news is at
  http://lwn.net/

However, it doesn't mention anything about a new distribution.

Debian News is at
  http://www.debian.org/news.html

Some of the relevant portions might be:

22 May 1998: Hamm (development version of 2.0) Now in Deep Freeze

Hamm has now been deep-frozen. Up until this point most new versions
of packages have have been allowed into the distribution as long as
they were bug fixes only. Now, the fix must both fix release-necessary
bugs and be deemed important enough by the head of engineering.

If anyone would like to help in the testing of the future 2.0,
contact Brandon Mitchell at bhmit1@example.com

25 Mar 1998: Code freeze (and rumours)

The following is a message from the leader of Debian, Ian Jackson:

     The codefreeze for Debian 2.0, the libc6 system, is now in place,
     and alpha and beta testing will start very soon.
     There has been some confusion regarding Bruce Perens's relationship
     with SPI (Software in the Public Interest, Debian's support and
     umbrella organization). Bruce is the President of SPI, and felt he
     was unhappy with certain aspects of the Debian Project's work. Ian
     Murdock, Tim Sailer and I - the other board members of SPI - are
     currently discussing with Bruce the future direction of SPI, and
     SPI's relationship with Debian, and there is an ongoing discussion
     within the Debian Project about these issues.

     However, this will not distract us from our progress towards
     releasing 2.0. The Debian Project has a long tradition of apparent
     political instability shortly before making releases, so
     you can be optimistic !

     Ian Jackson.
     (Debian Project Leader)

 ---

What I'm most curious about is what were these issues he was not happy
about?

I did a search on DejaNews, infoseek and Altavista, but couldn't
find any references to a new distribution.  I did find references
to a "Linux Standard Base" project.  This is a base upon which
other distributions are based. Perens is the project leader
for that.

I also found that Cliff Miller of PHT is involved in that and also that
he is a director of Linux International.  Pretty neat.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691