Re: tlug: RedHat 5.1

    Scott> On Tue, 26 May 1998, Alan B. Stone wrote:

    >> Just in case anyone is interested in ordering RedHat Linux 5.1,

    Scott> I have to wonder if 5.1 is really worth the money at all,
    Scott> since one of their big major points is that it now comes
    Scott> with squid (one extra package, whoop de FRICKING DOO! (as

Agreed.

    Scott> the late Chris Farley would say).  And there's some
    Scott> bugfixes, but you can get those from their updates dir.

Aye, there's the rub.  Which ones?  And which slightly updated RPMs do
you need to take full advantage of the bugfixes you need?

You can be fairly sure that reinstalling the whole system will give
you something that will work better (unless it breaks completely on a
new bug).  Patching things up bit by bit, well, not necessarily.

You need to have the time and ability to read ChangeLogs to be
reasonably sure.  _I_ wouldn't do it any other way ... but then, I
invested 6 years in a PhD so that I'd have the time to do it this
way. ;-)

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691