Re: tlug: Draft of June 13 TLUG General Meeting Announcement

On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 03:02:32PM +0900, craigoda@example.com wrote:

> If anyone else wants to do a demonstration of something, speak up.
> Incidently, I've found that MagicPoint under Linux is awesome for
> presentations.  http://www.mew.org/mgp

Hey!  Thanks for this link -- this is absolute gold for me!

Hint for anybody who does the same thing I did (as fast as I could type
"ncftp ftp.mew.org; xmkmf -a; make; ./mgp sample/tutorial.mgp"): it runs
*V-E-R-Y* s-l-o-w-l-y without vflib or vflib enabled Xserver when
displaying kanji (at least I assume it runs faster when using vflib).
Try sample/ascii.mgp to get a better idea of speed.

The ability to swallow an arbitrary X client subprocess (like xeyes in
"ascii.mgp") in a presentation should make the PowerPoint users green.
The fact that it also supports Japanese is enough to make me swoon.

Okay, I need to spend more than 30 seconds playing with this, but does
anybody know how difficult it is to generate hardcopy with this in
addition to online presentations?

Thanks for the pointer, Craig, I thought I was going to have to wait for
the gnome stuff or first release of "kpresent", and suffer without
Japanese.

Regards,
--
Rex

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691