Re: tlug: can't run X clients

On Sun, 24 May 1998, David J Iannucci wrote:

> Masa wrote:
> > It seems to me that the cause of David's problem is XFree86.3.3.2 or xdm.
> > From XFree86.3.3.2 they need to use xdm to start X.
>
>    Hmmm.... I think I've got 3.3.1, but is it really true?  I don't
> know what xdm is or how to use it.  Though I recall reading the man
> page once.  And not having any idea from that about what its purpose
> in life was, or how to actually use the darn thing :^(

This isn't really true.  It's just a difference in the default compile
options for the code.  By default, 3.3.2 does NOT make its server binaries
setuid, but they still need to be, as do all X server binaries.  So, to
make your 3.3.2 server behave like an older one, just chmod 4755 it.  A
Better solution is to use a secure wrapper (such as xdm), or Xwrapper,
which comes with 3.3.2, or any of the other ones.  TurboLinux uses one
that was taken from RedHat, which in turn was taken from Debian (isn't
open source great? :) )..

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691