Re: tlug: another disappointment

>>In article <3.0.32.19980522083019.0072349c@example.com>, Nivad <nivad@example.com> writes:

> I just thought everyone might like to read about an unsettling
> article that I found out about last night.  A major change from
> UNIX to Windows NT in the US Air Force.

> http://www.af.mil/news/May1998/n19980520_980698.html

There's some interesting goings-on related to that.  Apparently,
allegedly, supposedly :-) NT is the only OS pre-approved for US govt
purchase; all others need an extra approval step.  This is because NT
has been certified to C2 level security.  But apparently, allegedly,
supposedly, this only applies to the exact certified version, which is
no longer being shipped, it only applies to said OS not being on a
network, and it only applies if said software is not modified in the
slightest (no changes, no additions, no removals).  All of which means
NT is being shipped and purchased under false pretenses.  An ex-M$
contractor is spilling the beans because M$ pulled their usual bait
and switch tactics when dealing with him, and now's hes, uhm, upset.

Nope, don't remember where I read this, but it was in the news in the
last couple of weeks, maybe month.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691