tlug: help! intallation of Wnn4

Hi,

Please, anyone who has successfully installed the RPM package of Wnn4 help me.

I got redhat 5.0 two weeks ago and installed it into my computer(Pentium). I wanted to e-mail to my friends in Japan with Kanji, so I decided to use Wnn4 + xemacs + mew.

I downloaded a glibc version of Wnn4 RPM package from JRPM site, and made an user "wnn", and then installed it. Next, I got the source of xemacs and tried to compile it with mule and Wnn support, but I couldn't. Jeff Miller, who read my article at comp.emacs.xemacs, told me that I couldn't compile xemacs because I didn't install Wnn4 correctly.

We exchanged some e-mails doing some checkings, and at last I was convinced that he's right. The RPM package of Wnn4 installed everything under /usr/local directory, not /usr directory, but I'm not sure what I should do about it. I guessed I have to at least make a path to /usr/local/lib, so I inserted a line

/usr/local/lib

in /etc/ld.so.conf, and typed "ldconfig", but I still can't compile xemacs.

I've just started using linux, so my knowledge of it is very limited. I think I've missed something very basic. If you could tell me what I should do to install the Wnn4 RPM step by step, I would very much appreciate it.

By the way, I haven't touched any configuration file since redhat installer automatically installed everything.

Thank you.

Takeshi Masuda (tmasuda@example.com)