Re: tlug: Japanese encoding converters

From: "Scott H. Perlman" <perlman@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Japanese encoding converters
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:18:55 +0900 (JST)

perlman> Well if you've got the program to do one of them..
perlman>
perlman>
perlman> find . -type f -exec 'CONVERT {}' \;
perlman> (or if it needs an output file
perlman> find . -type f -exec 'CONVERT {} {}.new ; mv {}.new {}' ';'
perlman>
perlman> The problem as i see it is just finding the program do reliably do the
perlman> initial conversion (which I don't have, thers iconv on AIX, and I've got
perlman> something that does EUC-->SJIS on NT, but I don7t have anythin for linux)

The use of nkf (network kanji filter) is pretty common.

  $ nkf -s

will output shift-jis to STDOUT, so you can probably put it into the
above script and try it on a test directory.  I think Debian-JP, jrpm,
and PJE have binaries for nkf.

Regards,
Craig

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691