RE: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

Jonathan Byrne--3Web writes:
 > A peculiar sort of a bond, one that only loses value from the day you buy
 > it.  It is also completely erroneous to call it a bond.  If it were a bond,
 > NTT could not unilaterally cancel your subscription right, but if you
 > suspend your phone service and that period of suspension exceeds five years,
 > that is exactly what they will do.  And of course, if I sell my subscription
 > right to a third party who does not immediately use it, five years from the
 > time it was last used, NTT cancels it.Your subscription "right" is actually
 > no right at all.

OK. Bond is a bad term for it. It is more like one time initiation fee
which is transferable and has the statute of limitation. Something
that ISP charges too. Important point is:

   Isn't  this right applied to ISDN anymore?
   If so, why is there 600 yen monthly rent for ISDN?
   Or if so, it is wise to go for ISDN from analog selling off the right?

I am not defending NTT. What I like to say is when a company
monopolizes a market, there should be a good explanation how a company
charges and why. Freedom of information.
When I set up a telephone line in US, it was amazing to see one phone call
is enough to do it. I didn't have to go to local phone company office
to pay something in advance. They just gave me some credit. In case of
NTT, they do not give any credit at all. So I wondered why some
private monopolizing company just give credit to people while NTT
which used to be public enterprize serving public do not give credit
for public at all.
To generalize this, I have a feeling that Japan is like the city where
Robocop works: The cityhood is owned by some monopolizing private
coorporation. Isn't it a Detroit?
So I understand you upset about the service NTT offers.

So solution to NTT problem is you start to look for direct connection
to your customers without NTT using wireless techs.

 > I'm not familiar with this at all, can you tell me more about it?  Do you
 > know if it works for data communications as well?  And is there a per-minute
 > fee above the $50 per month, or is that flat-rate dialing?

I don't know much. It was on TV News. There should be some company
selling satellite phones in Japan though.

Regards,
Kei.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691