RE: tlug: Linux/unix Books

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Sean Bennett <sean@example.com>

Oh, good, a non-NTT topic :-)

>I'm just stepping (jumping_falling_crashing...) into the world of
linux/unix;
>Does anyone have any recommendations on books to get started and/or books

I highly recommend O'Reilly's Running Linux.  The first chapters regarding
installation and supported a hardware are a bit dated (installation is a lot
easier now, and hardware support is far broader), but they still make good
background reading.  The book is a wealth of information on Linux, is
oriented toward beginners, and would have saved me a lot of grief if I'd had
it when I first dove into Linux/UNIX last fall.  Or is that fell into it
last dive? :-)

If you're using a Linux distribution that uses the RPM package format and
Red Hat tools, the manual that comes with Red Hat 5.0 is a pretty good
source as well.

Jonathan