Re: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

Scott Stone writes:
 > It's up to $700 now, according to Naomi at Bricks... however, if you go
 > with Bricks/NTT's ISDN Lite program, you avoid the $700 bribe to NTT and
 > just pay an extra 600 yen/month to rent the rights.  You still have to pay
 > for local calls, and an ISDN TA, but overall it's a better deal.

 Subscription right is not a bribe but a bond which NTT does not buy
back. The bonds are traded somewhere in the market. Maybe Bricks is a
brokerage company that deals the bonds so it can offer derivative like
monthly rent. So I like to know what are the selling and buying prices
of it in the market? Then you can decide if it is a better deal.
 NTT used to charge subscription right to cellular telephones too. But,
there was market competition from other private companies. And those
rights are driven away from the market, There was law suit between
some sales company and NTT because the sales company had to pay for
the rights and could not charge back to customers because of the
competition. And the sales company lost the suit. But, rights for wire
installed phone remain. This shakes the ground for charging the
right. It seems only market competition can bring justice to the outdated
custom. But, satellite telephone like Iridium can make good competiton
against NTT? Iridium costs 50USD for basic fee all over the world and
is going to operate this september, I believe. Japan is not a
developing country which can take advantage of satellite telephone
system. Japan is full of unnecessary infrastructures.

Regards,
Kei.