Re: Using local MTA re: tlug: Naive VM question

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web writes:
 > So you mean that you have your system setup to automatically make a
 > connection and mail run during Telehodai time and you keep all of the mail
 > on your local mail spool until then?  Or am I completely missing what you
 > mean?  Under a setup like that, mail that you wrote at 9:00 AM wouldn't go
 > out until 14 hours later.  I think I'd rather spend the 10 yen to call my
 > ISP and dump my outgoing mail :-)

Yes, that is what I am doing right now.
No, it really doesn't matter, if it is personal use.
But, if it is the company situation, spooling the mails before dialup
is meaningful rather than dialup per e-mail policy for every employee.
What I like to say is that Linux gives the potential no mater who you
are. If the detailed power management is available, or detailed dialup
scripting, it is possible to spool and e-mail every 3hours or so. If
you are online editor or publisher on trip, that kind of policy is hopeful.

 > So the school shouldn't have its own server on the Internet, but instead
 > should run on
 > dial-up access all day, and the web page updates, etc., would only be
 > uploaded to a remote web server overnight by an automated routine?  I
 > think few users would find this to be an acceptable solution, and you
 > would need to use a 128K ISDN dial-up to get anything like acceptable
 > performance.  That connection would most likely be open all day long, and
 > the cost of that is actually much greater than the cost of a 128K leased
 > line.

What I think is that schools only need to show students solutions. If
they want to do net-surfing, they can do it as off-school activity
where school are relieved from responsibility how the net-surfing is
conducted rather than rating every webs in the internet.
And it is much cheaper as a starter.
While student can build their webs at the school site and publish them
on some mirror site in the internet.

Also I am wondering why the telephone companies in US even after the
break-up have monopolizing power and can still offer people local
calls free while in Japan, NTT used to be government-own company and
can't even offer people local call free.

What is the difference between public and private enterprises in
Japan?

Regards,
Kei.