tlug: Usable X over a 14,400 line?

You betcha!

See HOWTO/mini/LBX-HOWTO or something like that.

This is way cool.  This makes it possible to really work at home,
without giving up most of the comforts of high-speed net access.

Initialization still takes a while, and if your remote apps have a
different idea of the right size of things than your local ones do you
can blow a lot of memory on kanji fonts.  But just editing, at least
in a monospace text, is now acceptable.  I wonder how much of the
remaining performance hit is due to the fact that I'm double-proxied
(my Sun X11R6.1 server doesn't know about no steenkin' LBX extension,
so I'm running an Xnest which _does_ do LBX, as well as the clients
and the lbxproxy at school...).

I will definitely be running Netscape with autoload images OFF.  :-)

Yow!  Do I hear th' SPINNING of various WHIRRING, ROUND, and WARM
WHIRLOMATICS?!

:-)