RE: mail spool lock (was: tlug: two problems)

    jb> 差出人 : Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com>

    >> We really need to see the owner and group.  what does
    >> ls -ld /var/spool/mail /var/lock /var/spool/mail/jonathan say?

drwxrwxr-x   4 root     jonathan   /var/lock
drwxrwxr-x   2 root     mail       /var/spool/mail
-rw-rw----   1 jonathan mail       /var/spool/mail/jonathan

    jb> What's so weird is that this used to be fine, and then all of
    jb> a sudden one day when I booted into Linux it was hosed :-(

Probably not, but if you don't remember what else you were doing at
the time, I can't help you with that....  I really don't believe that
you haven't changed your mailbox link, either by updating jpine or by
resetting the link from something else(pine?) to jpine, though.

    jb> I failed to mention it before, but I am running Fetchmail.
    jb> Can anything in Fetchmail cause a problem like this?  If so,
    jb> what should I do to fix it/prevent it from doing it again?

No, it shouldn't.  Fetchmail (normally, unless you've done something
to it) talks to smtpd on service 25.  So the smtpd is what is doing
any file locking on your mailbox.

    jb> Jpine is what's linked to the mailbox icon in my AfterStep
    jb> setup, and it used to work ,but now I'm having this problem.
    jb> I haven't tried running just pine from a kterm window.  Do you
    jb> think I should?

Try running both pine and jpine from the command line.  Note that pine
(according to your earlier mail) is owned by root.mail, so it can
create lockfiles in both /var/lock and /var/spool/mail.  Jpine is
owned by nobody_on_your_box.wheel, so it cannot create a lockfile in
either directory.

HTH

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691