Re: tlug: Linux and MO disks

>>In article <000801bd6ffe$1577f000$1302a8c0@example.com>, "Jonathan Byrne--3Web" <jq@example.com> writes:

> I'm not highly familiar with MO disks, so I'd like to ask a couple of basic
> questions on using them with Linux:

> 1) Can Linux be booted from an MO disk?

Don't know, but ...

> 2) Assuming the answer to the above is "yes," would an extremely small (only
> there for the purpose of backing up and restoring the system) fit on a 230
> MB MO disk?

... considering such things can be done with 1.44 MB floppies (I am a
witness to such perversions, unfortunately :-), 230 MB looks like a
stroll in the park.

> 3) If we're still on a yes roll here, can the boot device also be the
> backup/restore device, or does its containing the root file system preclude
> this?

You might have to do like floppies, where the floppy includes a
soon-to-be ramdisk file system, with the necessary commands.  I have
forgotten the details of how this is set up.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: