tlug: Re: tlug-server: FTPmaster [originally on tlug-server list]

From: Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
Subject: tlug-server: FTPmaster
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:42:47 +0900 (JST)

schweiz> an FTPmaster since it's probably better to get more people
schweiz> involved, but if no-one comes forward looking to FTPmaster the
schweiz> TLUG server I'm willing to give it a shot.
schweiz>
schweiz> Be forwarned that I don't know much about it - that's why I'd
schweiz> like to try....

Jim,
did you want to start on the Pacific HiTech archive or the GLOCOM one
first?  I think that for PHT, you could probably send Scott a private
e-mail to get the server address and password and then make a few practice
directories in a temporary directory.

Then, I think we should solicit proposals for an FTP directory structure.
I think this is going to be critical to the use of the archive.

I kind of like the debian structure.

Packages       doc/           interpreters/  news/          text/
Packages.gz    editors/       libs/          oldlibs/       utils/
admin/         electronics/   mail/          otherosfs/     web/
base/          games/         math/          shells/        x11/
comm/          graphics/      misc/          sound/
devel/         hamradio/      net/           tex/

It seems clearer than the slackware one.

CHECKSUMS     d12/          k2/           tcl2/         x5/
FILE_LIST     d13/          k3/           x1/           x6/
MANIFEST.gz   d2/           k4/           x10/          x7/
README        d3/           k5/           x11/          x8/
a1/           d4/           k6/           x12/          x9/
a2/           d5/           makeflop      x13/          xap1/
a3/           d6/           n1/           x14/          xap2/
a4/           d7/           n2/           x15/          xap3/
a5/           d8/           n3/           x16/          xap4/
a6/           d9/           n4/           x17/          xap5/
a7/           e1/           n5/           x18/          xd1/
a8/           e2/           n6/           x19/          xd2/
a9/           e3/           t1/           x2/           xd3/
ap1/          e4/           t2/           x20/          xv1/
ap2/          e5/           t3/           x21/          xv2/
ap3/          e6/           t4/           x22/          xv3/
ap4/          e7/           t5/           x23/          y1/
ap5/          e8/           t6/           x24/          y2/
ap6/          f1/           t7/           x25/
d1/           f2/           t8/           x26/
d10/          f3/           t9/           x3/
d11/          k1/           tcl1/         x4/

The other extreme is to dump everything into one directory like RedHat.

RPMS/       base/       i386        instimage/

I guess there would be high level directories and stuff for other distributions.

What I was thinking was to copy the entire TLUG FTP section on to TLUG CD-Rs
for sale at meetings.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: