Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

Kei Furuuchi <kfur@example.com> writes:

> Frank Bennett wrote:
>
> > ... need ... to exchange
> > Japanese-version Excel files with a couple of colleagues
>
> Why do you have to be a linux purist?
> When your colleages are using Windows/Excel around you, I think it
> is easier to partition your hard disk and use both OS, then
> use Excel on Windows to convert a Excel file into text file.
> Then use text file with your application on Linux.

That's fair enough.  Actually, I limited my queries to Linux apps
because I know the dual-boot solution is there, and that it will
more or less work.  The future for me will probably be in native
Linux applications, not out of religious conviction, but because
that will minimize the amount of time I need to spend configuring
systems and learning the ins and outs at the OS level.

> I think even printers around you only support windows drivers,
> even if you can find an appropriate driver in Ghostscript,
> it is much slower and cruder than using a windows driver.

I get by with Ghostscript.  I don't print huge runs of material
and most of what I print is straight text, so the performance
penalty isn't a serious constraint in my case.  Horses for
courses, as they say.

> How do you find an Office product for Windows 3.1 J nowadays,
> while everyone else is going to use Windows98?

Caldera has just reported that Wabi does not work with Japanese
or other foreign-language versions of Windows, so that's the end
of that part of the thread.

Cheers,
--
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@