tlug: cgiwrap on tlug.pht

Hi all,

I'm trying to install cgiwrap on the tlug.pht.co.jp
box, but I'm not having much success. It compiles fine, I follow
the instructions to the letter ... but:

If I call a script with:
http://tlug.pht.co.jp/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jims/test.pl
then I get
CGIwrap Error: Real UID could not be changed!

and if I call it with:
http://tlug.pht.co.jp/cgi-bin/cgiwrapd/jims/test.pl
I get:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/cgi-bin/cgiwrapd/jims/test.pl on this server.

(This is baloney - as a try I chmod'd all the cgi-bin
directories and script to 777 - still got this error)

from /var/log/cgiwrap.log:
jims    test.pl 210.167.65.8    210.167.65.8    <NULL>  ok
Fri Mar 27 19:13:21 1998

from /var/log/httpd/error_log:
[Fri Mar 27 19:13:28 1998] access to
/home/httpd/cgi-bin/cgiwrapd/ failed for 210.167.65.8, reason:
Symbolic link not allowed

Is this an indication of an Apache misconfiguration?

Does anyone have any suggestions (I'm out of ideas at the
moment.)?

Many thanks,

Jim S.
a word from the sponsor: