tlug: retraction

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:
>     >> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
>     >> <SHATNER>
>     >>
>     >> Must ... NOT ... say ... I ... told ... you ... so ...
>     >>
>     >> </SHATNER>
>
>     Scott> you can't have 'told me so' about a problem that was just
>     Scott> recently created.  I, actually, should be saying, I 'told'
>     Scott> you so, since the problem didn't exist in the PAST.  You
>     Scott> could however, say, "I'm telling you so", or "I will tell
>     Scott> you so", since the problem exists now and possibly in the
>     Scott> future :)

Ok, let me amend this a bit.  I did NOT know of any problem existing with
the aic7xxx driver in 2.0.33 (I do know that there is no problem with
2.0.30, as I have several servers using 2.0.30 with aha2940s without
difficulty).  There DOES seem to be a problem with 2.0.33, and I will see
if the patches on the listed FTP site will fix the problem, and if so I
will release a new kernel-modules package for TL with a fixed aic7xxx
module.

Also, I didn't mean to belittle anyone's experience/knowledge, least of
all Chris's, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I've talked with the driver author, and he says that the problem may
simply be that 2.0.33 is more finicky about termination than 2.0.30 was -
he says that SOMETHING has to provide termination power to the bus, and
that the autotermination feature in the 2940 should be avoided.

Unfortunately it'll take me some time to test this.

Oh, BTW - the tlug machine has a 2940 card and a 2.0.33 kernel in it right
now - try to avoid manipulating any really big files (although that 9gb
drive I believe has TP enabled, so it might not be a problem).

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: