tlug: XIM

    Klaus> Now I want to input Japanese into XEmacs 20.4. Canna
    Klaus> support does not compile, so I chose XIM (should work with

You have more problems than just XIM if Canna support doesn't
compile.  Canna support has always gotten autodetected for me, except
when I was trying a beta version and had to point to the new version.

    Klaus> kterm & kinput2, too). Compiled and installed fine. But
    Klaus> what now? I searched the XEmacs info and FAQ files for
    Klaus> XIM. Nothing (only the sentence "I don't know about XIM").

    Klaus> I then had a look at input-method-xlib.c (XEmacs source)
    Klaus> and found that the first call the XIM support does is
    Klaus> setlocale(). So I exported LANG=ja_JP (and also a dozen
    Klaus> other combinations of ja, japanese, euc etc.) and tried
    Klaus> again.  setlocale() always fails. This seems to be a
    Klaus> glibc-2.0.6 bug (it looks for some non-existent locale
    Klaus> files). kterm -xim seems to have the same problem.

Nonexistent locale isn't a glibc bug.  It's an I18N support file bug
:-)

You're probably hosed by one of the versions of XFree86 that does not
support <X11/Xlocale.h>.  X makes provisions to work around the
absence of libc support, but it has to be compiled in to your Xlib.
What happens is that Xlocale simply uses a macro to alias setlocale to
an internal Xlib routine _Xsetlocale.

XEmacs's configure process should detect this automatically.  Look in
src/config.h for `#define HAVE_X11_XLOCALE_H 1'.  If it's not there
(you should have a contrary #undef in that case), you need to get a
different version of X that supports X NLS.

    Klaus> Questions:

    Klaus> * Did anyone get further than me?

Lotsa people, although I personally haven't done it with 20.4.

    Klaus> * Does anyone know the status of glibc2 locale support
    Klaus>   (especially Japanese)?

In general, pretty good.  For the latter, Bu-Wha-Ha-Ha-Ha!  Wanna
write one?

    Klaus> * How can I check in XEmacs and/or kterm whether XIM
    Klaus>   actually works? By a command? By pressing a key
    Klaus>   combination?

First, start `kinput2 -xim +kinput +ximp -debug' in the foreground.
If it bitches about the debug, too bad; you don't have the debug
support.  Drop the `-debug' flag and add a `&'; no point in having a
TTY for debugging output if there isn't gonna be any.

Now start an instance of kterm with

	    XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput" LANG=ja_JP kterm -xim

and any other flags you like on your kterm.  You check it by doing
control-Mouse3 in the window to bring up the VT Options popup, and
looking for a check by Open Input Method.  If it's not there, select
that option.  You can probably also open XIM with Shift-Space, and
possibly [Kanji] depending on your resource database.
a word from the sponsor: