Re: tlug: X

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> Is X the biggest program in the world or what?  I'm building libc5 RPMs
> for XFree 3.3.2, and it's taking 3 hours :)

*laugh* Not _the_ biggest, but if you're building each and every server
_and_ the linkkit _and_ the loadable module stuff _and_ static libraries,
it'll take roughly forever.

... I compiled 2.0 on a 386/40 with eight megs a _long_ time ago ... it
took about two days.

> I noticed that 3.3.2 doesn't seem to include support for the GLINT or
> PERMEDIA chipsets -- why?  The SuSE servers do.

There was a little bit of technical difficulty merging the 3D Labs stuff
from SuSE to 3.3.2.  The support will be in 4.0 (no, I don't have an ETA
for 4.0 ... we're at 3.9Ad now, if that helps any).

> Oh well, hope the upgrade is worth it :)

Dunno, personally.  We weren't expecting to release a 3.3.2 until a little
while ago (i.e., around December) IIRC.  I haven't run anything from the
3.3 branch for at least six months ;)

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: