Re: tlug: /bin/bash

On Tue, 1 Mar 1994, Rafael Coninck Teigao wrote:

> -the error message for all this is: could not exec /bin/bash!
> 	But I've even tried to upgrade this file and the same error occurred, I
> really don't know what is going on!

This might be a libc incompatibility problem.  If you do this,
niji:~$ ldd -v /bin/bash

do you get this

  ldd: version 1.8.10
        libreadline.so.2.0 => /lib/libreadline.so.2.0
        libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5

or is it linked to libc6?

You may not be able to upgrade bash as it may be required for upgrades.
For example, the upgrade script for debian requires a sh.
What I did was compile zsh from source with libc6, do a link from
 /bin/sh to /usr/bin/zsh (it's linked to bash by default), then
do the upgrade of bash.

The reason that you cannot login as root is that you probably
cannot login at all. I'm assuming that you are still logged into
your current session.  if this is the case, you need to add /usr/bin/zsh
to your /etc/passwd file.

Do not log out right now until you can fix the problem.  Keep your
root console open.  You will probably be locked out of your system
if you exit or do a reboot.

If you're locked out, go in with the system disk and try to copy
a binary of a shell to somewhere and then execute that as your
shell at login.

Regards,
Craig

---
craig@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: