Re: tlug: simple C

Hi Jim,

> I made the mistake of opening one of those dusty C books tonight
> to experiment with some ASCII. Now I'm really confused. Suppose
> I have a head.h with:
>
> -----------------------------------
> schweiz:~/devel/C/scratch$ less head.h
> /* This is my li'l header file. */
>
> #define CONFUSED 227
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> and a test file with:
>
> -----------------------------------
> schweiz:~/devel/C/scratch$ less htest1.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include "head.h"
>
> void main()
> {
>         printf("this guy is confused: %c\n",CONFUSED);
> }
> -----------------------------------
>
> and I compile it with gcc htest1.c -ohtest1
>
> but I get:
> schweiz:~/devel/C/scratch$ htest1
> this guy is confused: ,Ac(B
>
> ***********
>
> What I see is an 'a' with a tilde over it, not the pi sign my
> ASCII table says I should be getting...

How about the following theory:  Your terminal uses a
latin-1 font, but the ASCII table in your book is not
latin-1, but sombody elses idea on how to use those
characters above 127.

In other words, this problem has (I guess) nothing to do
with C or your program, it is just a matter of using the
right font.  (But maybe the encoding printed in your old C
book isn't used anymore these days...)

Cheers,

Manuel

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: