tlug: TLUG Server (Hardware)

   Okay folks. I've been looking at the server hardware again, so
   here's an update.

   First, the reboot "error" is gone. It was simply a misconfigured
   BIOS (as a dyed-in-the-wool Sun guy, I still can't get used to the
   idea of having to tell the system what it has in it).

   I also remembered that there was a second RAID controller, so we now
   have two controllers and slots for eight 3.5" disks. The reason this
   machine came my way to begin with was becasue a couple of the disks
   died. Since then, a couple more have died. We now only have four
   210MB IDE drives available, meaning that if we use the RAID
   mirroring capability we can only configure a maximum logical drive
   size of 420MB (about enough for a Linux install, but not nearly
   enough for a server).

   As far as I know, the RAID controllers can only handle drives of the
   same type and geometry on a single controller, so it would make
   sense to have the original four drives hung off one controller as a
   single, mirrored, logical device for root, swap and usr, and perhaps
   buy a couple of larger capacity drive to put on the second
   controller as a mirrored, logical device for the server area. Does
   this sound reasonable? Would anyone with Compaq experience like to
   suggest another method?

   The memory boards are those silly, proprietary Compaq ones, with
   SIMM modules which attach to 50-pin connectors (quite unlike
   anything anyone else uses). There's 32MB of memory already in the
   machine and I might have a few more odd Compaq SIMMs lying around to
   boost it to about 40MB, but ordinary 72-pin (or whatever), slot-type
   SIMMs will not work in this machine. Does anyone know if Compaq has
   any sort of adapter board available to enable the use of "normal"
   SIMMs in their systems?

   The machine has a modem board, an EISA SCSI, an Adaptec 1510A ISA
   SCSI, a 3COM ethernet and some sort of Compaq/Novell EISA ethernet,
   too.  I need to grab some Compaq disk rails to fit the SCSI CD-ROM
   and SCSI 1/4" tape streamer back inside the server cabinet. One of
   the local shops in Atsugi has those available in one of their junk
   boxes, so I should be able to grab a couple and get that done this
   week.

   I can also donate some small, SCSI disks in Macintosh boxes as
   external storage if we are not able to rustle up some IDE drives for
   the RAID.

   The machine itself is too big for normal takkyubin pickup from
   convenience stores, so I'll probably end up taking it to the takkyubin
   main depot at the weekend, with delivery scheduled for next Monday
   or Tuesday. Is that okay, Scott?

   The bottom line... We need disks. Preferably IDE, preferably multiple
   drives of the same model.

			-John-

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: