Re: tlug: W95 and Linux

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, urs roesch wrote:

> Domenico Carlucci wrote:
>
> > I have the following problem:
>
> > I would like to install on the same HD (3G) W95 japanese,
> > W95 english and Linux.
>
> You can not install 2 versions of Windoze 95 on the same machine
> _unless_ you have a software like System Commander (approx. Yen 10'000
> available in E and J at Akihabara).

This is not true.  You can.  When I first came to Japan I was very
uncomfortable with Japanese, but had to use it for somethings, so
I did install both English and Japanese versions on the same machine.
I have since become more comfortable using Japanese and only
use Japanese windows now so I do no longer have my set-up as such.
Also, I really have forgotten how to do it.  But luckily for you
I kept a hard copy of the web page and I just checked it out and it
is still at:

http://www.phon.ox.ac.uk/~andy/japanese/win95eng-jap_faq.html

Basically, you will have to follow a certain order when installing both
of the systems and when you want to go from one to the other you will
have to run a short batch file and re-boot. Also,
this document doesn't directly address
using Linux, but I think once you get the windows part working, it
shouldn't be too hard to get lilo working with linux.

Good luck.

Rob

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: