RE: tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #769

> >JPNIC requires a fair amount of documentation that proves that the
> > *.or.jp organization is really a non-profit organization.
>

> Does AT&T WorldNet qualify as a non-profit organization?  They were an
> or.jp
> for a long time until they just recently became an ne.jp, and even now
> you
> can ping them at www.attnet.or.jp and get an answer.  Also, one of the
> people over here at 3Web who works in that section tells me that JPNIC
> tends
> to be kind of lax with .or, even giving it to individuals at least
> sometimes.

I think those are because of the history that ne.jp was introduced only
a year or
two ago, until which ISP and non-profit organizations use same "or.jp"
domain.

If it's doable, I really think a .jp domain name would be nice to have.
If
> it's a matter of all members donating a little more to cover the cost
> of it,
> I'm willing.  What do the rest of you think?

I am willing too.  However, if the JPNIC cost is so expensive (which I
believe has
recently been lowered closer to InterNIC ), we do not have to stick on
JP
domain but register such as:
	TOKYOLUG.org
	TLUG.net
(both are open).

I think we do not have to pay that 1 mil yen to JPNIC if we apply for
our domain
through a member of JPNIC (generally ISP).

Regards,
Ken Harada

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: